Friday 20 March 2015

Doing Germany by Agnieszka Paletta



I found this book to be a disappointment. I was expecting a fun travel memoir but really all I got was a frustrated and, at times, bitter resident of a country that was not her first choice. She ends up living in Germany only because the man she marries lives and works there. It falls short in comparison to her home countries of Canada and Poland  as well as Italy where she would prefer to be living.
 
I would not class this book as a travel memoir. It includes some stories about her time in Italy but she doesn’t do a great deal of traveling in Germany. It continually compares Germany to the few countries she has experienced with Germany invariably coming off second best.
 
I expected this to be an amusing, light hearted read and to learn more about Germany, a country I would love to visit, and felt I was let down. The writing is more like diarised recollections with girlish ramblings about trivial things and the attempts at humour left me flat.

I don’t usually finish books that disappoint me as much as this one did. I kept hoping for so much more.

This book was provided to me for free for an honest and unbiased review.

My rating 1.5* rounded up to 2*

No comments:

Post a Comment