Friday 12 June 2020

Dargo: A Feel-Good Eco Novella by Karina McRoberts

When I read the opening chapter, I felt pity for Dargo, I liked him but wanted to slap him and wake him up to life. He appears lazy and he is given a week off work without pay to mull things over. But it’s OK our hero comes good.

Dargo is a light-hearted story with humour and a lesson on the environment. It is easily read in one sitting and while it is an adult fairy tale it is also quite suitable for children.

As he wanders, lost in thought, he finds himself at an old theme park. Now abandoned it still brought back happy memories from his childhood. He spies the Gypsy Fortune Teller machine, one of his old favourites and gives it a try. 



That’s when his adventure starts. The fortune teller emerges from the machine and tells Dargo her name is Flame. She is fire. As the story progresses he meets Terran (earth), Mariah (wind), and Vivian (water).

Listening to his new friends, Dargo begins to understand the impact man has had on the earth and climate. They ask him for his help. To tell more would detract from the enjoyment of the story.

I loved all the characters, yes, even our hero, Dargo. I think my favourite though was Terran, the earth.

There are no unnecessary words in the story but McRoberts clearly gets her environmental message across and none of the characters are lacking in personality.

The impact of the story’s message stays with the reader. I was watching the breeze moving the trees this morning and I immediately thought of Mariah.

My rating 5*

www.pam.id.au
Follow Pamela King on her Facebook page
Pamela King Amazon Author Page
Pamela King Goodreads Author Page

No comments:

Post a Comment