Thursday 2 March 2023

Royals by Tegan Bennett Daylight

Precis

What happens when a group of teenagers is stranded indefinitely in a shopping centre, alone? With all the stuff they could possibly want … and a baby? Is it paradise – or hell?

With no phones and no internet, Shannon and her fellow prisoners are completely disconnected from the outside world… and their online lives. It’s hard to say whether they’ll be driven to delinquency, or – even worse – forced to make friends. Will the limitless bubble tea, Maccas, high-end trainers and tech equipment be enough to keep the six teens safe and happy until they can find a way out, or is this all the start of something more sinister?

My review

I was drawn to Royals out of curiosity based on the precis above. It intrigued me and I was interested to know what appeals to YA readers today. I think I should have chosen another story. 

The story begins with Shannon waiting to meet her brother in the shopping centre. She falls asleep and when she wakes she notices her phone is stuck at 5.17pm. The centre is empty and as she walks around the centre she meets 5 other teenagers, all with their phones stuck at 5.17pm.

They discover they not only have an endless supply of food from the food court they can take anything they need from all the shops.

I enjoyed the beginning, but it gradually got more and more boring and repetitious. How many times do you have to mention bubble tea, Maccas and Forty Winks? The concept was good but there was virtually no plot and little depth to the story.

The characters were a diverse group but the attempt to be an ‘inclusive’ story got a bit over the top. They all become likeable as the story unfolds.

The shopping centre itself has its own personality and character with food and items taken from the shops being replenished overnight.

Maybe I’m a stuffy old grandmother but the use of four letter words concerned me especially for the younger teens in the YA group.

Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and Tegan Bennett Daylight for providing me with an ARC of this novel.  All thoughts and opinions are my own. 

@netgalley and @simonandschuster 

My rating 2* 

No comments:

Post a Comment