Friday 21 February 2020

Amazon has really annoyed me this time.

I have been writing reviews, mostly for independent authors, for 7 years and sharing the reviews on this blog, Goodreads, LibraryThing and Amazon.

When I started, I was only required to purchase books of small value to qualify posting reviews on Amazon. I was able to post on amazon.com. as well as the sites in the UK and Australia.





The first annoying change was because I had not purchased books through the UK site, I was no longer qualified to post reviews. It was particularly disappointing because I review books by an English author.

Then, Amazon put the value to be purchased up to $50 but as I had already been accepted, I was able to continue posting my reviews on amazon.com.

I logged into Amazon the other day to post my latest review for Manipulation by TR Robinson only to get an on-screen message saying I didn’t qualify to post a review. It would appear Amazon have changed their rules.

Not only do you have to purchase books initially to the value of $50 but you are required to spend that amount on a yearly basis AND you have to do that for every Amazon site you would like to participate in reviews. That means if I want to share my opinion in the UK, Australia and the US I must spend $50 per year per site!

Even if I could afford to spend that amount of money, I doubt I could read that many books on top of my own purchases through Australian bookshops and those already in my personal library. The other difficulty is when I try to purchase an eBook (a simple download) I am forced to purchase only through the Australian site.

Furthermore, when I wish to purchase a print edition book my first choice is Booktopia (an Australian company) It is cheaper, more affordable, has faster postage and I am supporting an Australian company.

So, where is the future of my reviews and support for indie authors? I will continue to read and review the books on my ‘to be read’ list’. I will also read and review for authors who regularly send me their new work and post the reviews on my blog and Goodreads. However, I will be advising them of the situation, and I won’t be promoting my free service to new authors. I will also post reviews on Booktopia for books I purchase from them.

It is such a shame Amazon have taken this course of action. I can only interpret their actions as money being more important than supporting up and coming authors.




Follow Pamela King on her Facebook page
Pamela King Amazon Author Page
Pamela King Goodreads Author Page

No comments:

Post a Comment